Tuesday, March 04, 2008

If you haven't read it yet...

...it's new to you. Or something.

(Some people are going to see some of this for a second time, since I sent an email on some of it...)

So first some sad news, E. Gary Gygax, known to some as the "father of roleplaying games" or at a bare minimum one of the creators of Dungeons & Dragons apparently passed away this morning from an ongoing set of health issues. As the Insidious Mr. Huge said, "Cue the jokes about failing your saving throw" now. But it gets weirder... I later realized during a conversation with WPE, that Gygax passed away on GM's Day. That's right, the guy who creates roleplaying just happens to go to the big Gaming Convention in the Sky on the day set aside to honor gamemasters? How freaky is that? Not that I'm implying a conspiracy or anything, that might be disrespectful.

* * *

Before receiving the sad news about Gygax, I was excited because I had accidentally discovered that you could download old radio shows (Old Time Radio = OTR) on the web, for free in many cases. I found two sites where you can go. Enjoy the "theatre of the mind."

While near the topic of OTR, I thought I should also share with y'all some recent discoveries involving the pulps on the Interweb these days... This site does repro postcards of old Pulp covers. (Tacky? Possibly. But in the good way.) Not to be confused with Nostalgia Town, which does pulp reprints (with illustrations and everything) of various famous pulp characters' adventures (in addition to radio and other era goodness). This is interesting, because just a year or two back, I think some guys had a site shut down for that... and I believe that saga is chronicled here (though I haven't read it all myself yet...) You might also want to check out Adventure House. And don't forget the Pulp.Net for a good basic background on what's what and who's who.

* * *

What else? SQ sent me this one a little while back... Who doesn't love the Jabba the Hutt beanbag chair..? And many other rejected Star Wars promotional items...

And speaking of Lucasfilm, this article talks about how totally awesome the new Indiana Jones trailer is, which I think I mentioned already...

I'm sure there's more... but it's all I have time for right now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The DM is dead. Though his life has ended, his legacy lives on forever in everyone who has ever rolled for initiative.

Thanks for everything Gary. The teasing, insults, and misunderstandings were totally worth it.